Monday, July 27, 2009

Growing

I think someone is feeding my kids Miracle-Gro. They are growing like weeds, as the saying goes. I woke up one morning and suddenly realized that my baby girl is no longer a baby or a toddler, but a little girl. She has changed so much. It's not just her physical appearance, but her mannerisms as well. She actually carries on a conversation now. The other day, we did some back-to-school shopping for preschool. Daughter bought her first backpack. It seems so odd to me that she will be going to preschool. Wasn't it just yesterday that she came home from the hospital? It seems that way to me. My little baby boy is growing up as well. He is starting to assert more independence. He is on the verge of walking and he is starting to learn a few more words. Aside from just learning to say words, he is using them. He says ba-ba when he wants a bottle and Mama and Dada when he wants me or Hubby. One of my favorite things that he says is uh-oh. At least he knows that dropping (or throwing) food, etc. on the floor is a no-no. However, it doesn't stop him from doing it.

Where does all the time go? And why do children have to grow so fast? I asked Daughter if she would stop growing and stay my little girl forever. She told me no. She asked me if I was sad that she is getting bigger. I told her it was bittersweet. I will miss her being little, but I enjoy watching her grow. Being a stay at home mom has allowed me to watch my kids grow daily. They are little sponges, soaking up everything around them. I love to see what they take in each day. For example, Son has learned to wave and play peek-a-boo. Daughter has learned to sing songs that she hears only once or twice. Sometimes, I wish I could be in their heads to see the world the way they do. What would it be like to view everything with such newness? Can adults ever learn to look at the world again with such wonder and amazement like we did as children?