Thursday, July 16, 2009

Accomplishments

Have you ever noticed that tasks we take for granted are big accomplishments for kids? I have seen my children’s faces beaming with pride today over simple tasks. Of course, as Mommy, I ma very proud of them too. My son has learned to stand on his own and he seems so pleased with himself every time he lets go of the furniture. He is walking with ease as he holds my hands. I know it won’t be long before he takes those first steps on his own. And it will only be harder for me to chase him down and wrestle with him to change his diaper. That kid hates to be changed. The second you set him down, he rolls over and fights getting dressed. My daughter, on the other hand, is learning to dress herself. Unfortunately, she can also undress herself. At least she doesn’t undress in public. I think she just likes to show off her big girl panties. She is so proud that she can put on her own clothes. “Look Mommy,” she said today, “I’m a good pantier.” Pantier: one who puts on panties. I love how kids just make up their own words. I also love the way they mispronounce some words, or confuse similar sounding words. It can give a whole new meaning to the conversation. Just the other day, Hubby and Daughter were outside watching cloud shapes and talking. One cloud looked like a dinosaur and Hubby said he was going home to his wife. Daughter looked a little confused and He asked her if she knew what a wife was. “Yes,” she said, “wives are dangerous.” (Any husbands reading this are probably agreeing with her right now.) We’ve been teaching Daughter about things around the house that could hurt her such as scissors and knives. In her mind, wife meant knife. But it would have been a completely different conversation if she had said knives, and not nearly as funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment